Keep Calm and Carry On

/
0 Comments
People get wrapped up in their heads; it's a fact that we have to accept.

I think everyone does it once in a while whether they know it or not. People start to dwell on the past or the future and forget to embrace the present. The whole process can be quite depressing not to mention distracting.

For the record...I'm DEFINITELY no exception. I tend to hyper-focus on insignificant situations, like a single test or quiz, and how these events will impact my far-off future. Although in the long run I know these experiences mean nothing, in the moment I feel as if my whole life hinges upon some exact outcome. My thought process develops into worst case scenarios and dreadful anxiety. I begin to bring up past situations and future downfalls that relate to the issue I am dealing with at hand. Overall, the process is absolutely horrendous and is not necessary.

Feelin' Stressed and Depressed

After trying out the idea myself instead of relying on others' advice, I've decided that the accepted notion of  minimizing individual anxiety and frustration to enhance happiness, is actually true. Yeah sure, I want to be successful just like everyone else but after all the academic awards and ribbons what's left? If you have no care-free moments to cherish or people to talk to, you are left in a cold, empty house with nothing but your once esteemed achievements glaring at you; reminding you of your lack of inner fulfillment. As a result, as my new years resolution, I have decided to embark on a journey to live in the moment instead of worrying about the future. Everyone should embrace the present because if you don't, you wind up wasting precious time in your life that could otherwise be spent happily.

I am not endorsing a mindset of complete aloofness, but rather a mindset with a controlled amount of worry. Anxiety is certainly a good thing because it pushes us to complete our goals; however, it should not be lurking in the back of our minds waiting to spring up with the sudden trigger of a morose thought.

While I've contemplated typing this post for the past week, as previously mentioned, I tested out my new mantra. The results were great. My week went better than ever and I was able to finish all the things I needed to get done without constantly worrying. Whenever I felt annoyed or anxious about something I would make a quick mental note about the issue and try to resume my normal, daily interactions. Then, at the end of the day I reviewed my little list and thought about things I could do to fix my problems. This new method of thinking allowed me to enjoy my day without dwelling on bothersome issues.

(Cute innuendo for my lasting thought)


So, the bottom line...be less antsy all the time 


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.